May 14, 2010

Follow the link to Urban Servant

Urban Servant Blog, now known as (Sub)urban Servant since their move from the city to the suburbs four months ago. Of course, they moved 1000 miles to get from the city to the suburbs...quite a long commute, don't you think?

I really love this blog. It always causes me to stop, think and requires some kind of response of my heart.

Here is a sample of what you will find:

Pain in The Journey....Mothers Day.
As the mom to 11 you would assume my Mothers Day would be full of dandy lions in jam jars and homemade cards, and it is to a point. But Mothers Day digs up a lot of issues within our family they are painful to work through. Our eight adoptions represent 6 different women who gave birth to our children and then released them into our family.Some did it intentionally and with careful planning, others had no choice and have no idea that their children are safely in our home today. Can you imagine not knowing where your baby is? A week, three years or ten years after they are born having no idea of how they are faring. Being that baby is not easy either. I field questions about relinquishment's, photos, biological fathers, addictions, prison and strangely, the hardest questions of all are those that ask 'who do I look like?' There is something so elemental in that question, so identifying and basic that we overlook it in our adoption stories and a gap is left in their hearts. For some of them I have photos we can look at or physical descriptions, for others there is a gaping silence to that question.Not that they don't love me as their mother, but they don't have have my eyes or my hair or my nose. When they look into the mirror their faces are made up of the pieces of strangers, mysterious and missing in their life. It doesn't bother me, I am not threatened or angry that we talk about these things on Mothers Day. It simply is a fact that I was not the mother that bore my children and there is nothing I can do to change the pain hidden deep in their wondering hearts.

1 comment:

  1. I lost track of Urban Servant for awhile, thanks for linking to her!

    Great post to share, too. Definitely the things I've thought about over the past two mothers days with our little Baby L. We are lucky to have a photo of her bio mom, but still there are many unanswered questions. The language barrier didn't allow us to get answers to many of them.

    Hope you are well - miss seeing you!

    ReplyDelete