April 20, 2010

Organic Community Garden Adventure

I am so excited!!! Along with four other families, we are planting a HUGE community garden. My friend, Rachael H. has the land. We've built a fence, tilled, dug rows, planted, spread mulch and will plant some more tomorrow. So far we have potatoes, onions, peas and tomatoes. I will be there with the children bright and early!

This is such a fantastic opportunity to teach the children to garden and help them to understand community, service and then reap the rewards by the bounty that we will share. We have a schedule and each family has a planting, upkeep and watering day...depending on the current needs.

Our challenge has been keeping the garden watered. With a definite lack of "April Showers," our rain barrels are dry and we can only use limited water from Rachael's well. So, I have been filling 5 gallon buckets from my well. I put them in the back of my Honda minivan and drive the five miles to Rachael's (that's nothing out here in the country...no stoplights. :-) The kids and I haul the buckets to the garden and carefully move down the rows. Right now it takes about 6-8 five gallon buckets to give each row a little drink. But Praise the Lord! It is raining right now. Yippee!!!

I'm planning to take pictures soon and will post them on the blog. I can't wait until I can take pictures of the boys picking bugs off the plants.....a definite need in an organic garden. Somehow I think it will be a joy for them. Just think of it! Mom is ASKING them to play with bugs....please!

No comments:

Post a Comment